George L. Klumpp has been a long-standing and prominent name in the Sacramento area since early 1916 when he obtained his funeral embalmer’s license, started his own business in 1921 and on January 14, 1939 relocated to the beautiful “George L. Klumpp Chapel of Flowers” at 8th and O Streets. Mr. Klumpp was elected Mayor of Sacramento 1947, part owner of the Sacramento Solons, and an avid race horse owner and fan. During this span, Mr. Klumpp supported many veteran and fraternal organizations, various athletic sports and teams – this support grows today as the firm continues his legacy of “giving back to the community”.
At the time of both George and Jane Klumpp’s passing, the firm was acquired by then manager, A.L. Barnard and Robert W. Oehler. Today, George L. Klumpp is owned and operated by the Diocese of Sacramento.
The 8th and O Street location prided itself with the outdoors effect of over 250 flowering plants along the indoor flower lanes on each side of the chapel. That beautiful setting was disrupted when the State of California demanded the property be made available to house the California Arts Commission. In 1972, Barnard and Oehler relocated the business to its current 2691 Riverside Boulevard location across the street from City, Masonic, and Odd Fellows Cemeteries in midtown Sacramento.